Thursday, April 30, 2015

On my mind...

When I received the purple legacy book and the album from the May Gala, it made me reflect on my unending gratitude and of all who contributed my deanship.  I continue to be deeply touched by all the words, love and generosity. I am humbled to have been the recipient of the warmth and friendship of alumni, the board of overseers, colleagues, students and mentees. I consider myself the luckiest person in the whole world and I continue to bask in the support that this Penn institution has given the School and me all through my deanship. 

After the many intense collaborations and warm friendships I have forged, for numerous people, the question is, "What is she doing now?" Therefore, I decided to share a narrative of my first year post stepping up from the deanship. Here are some highlights of what I have been thinking about and doing:

  • Spreading the message about interprofessional education and supporting the development of action plans for transforming education in Portugal, Colombia, Thailand, Turkey, Germany, Mexico and South Africa.
  • Spreading the message about the vital role of partnerships and collaboration with other schools, organizations, boards of overseers and alumni locally and globally.
  • Listening, dialoguing and exploring indications of progress in women’s health. For example reviewing policies against harassment and violence, identifying best strategies implemented by different countries to increase access of women to reproductive health as well as girls’ access to education, and listening to women’s voices.
  • Examining progress in the education of nurses and in the policies that enhance their scope of practice.
  • Here is an important development. Mahmoud has been able to accompany me and has been almost equally engaged with colleagues and students in most of these countries.
  • Celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with our 5 grandchildren in Aruba.
  • Joining Mahmoud in Sharm el-Sheikh on the Red Sea in Egypt to celebrate Christmas and the New Year.

Finally, as much as I am grateful for my wonderful send off by you, I am also very appreciative of your generosity and warmth in welcoming our new dean, Dr. Antonia M. Villarruel.
 You are a gift to her and she is an incredible gift to our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment